Friday, March 16, 2012

Manifesting My Life?

manifesting:

Manifesting is an eclectic hodgepodge of CYOR (create your own reality), visualization techniques, positive thinking, goal-setting, self-analysis, selective thinking, and post hoc reasoning, supported by tons of anecdotes. The purpose of manifesting is to get what you want by actively making your dreams come true, rather than passively waiting for someone to fulfill your dreams.  (Definition from The Skeptic's Dictionary.)

I have been thinking a lot about manifesting. Manifesting what I want my life to be like. In fact, I read about it in three different places in as many days. When I mentioned this to one person she said "There are no coincidences." Which made me think of it even more. Another person told me to call it prayer if the word manifesting doesn't sit well with me. Truth be told at first (possibly even up until this moment) I thought it was hocus-pocus. Yet all around me I see other people "manifesting" things in their lives.  Can this really be true? Or is it just another way for us to fool ourselves?

For instance, I gave it a try. I am not sure if I was to say it out loud three times with incense burning or fall on my knees with my hands folded in prayer. I wrote down what I wanted as far as a living situation would be. I wrote things like:

- 3 bedroom
- yoga space
- classroom space
- trees
- large garden are!!
- close to amenities
- wood stove
- freedom for Athena to roam and play
- lots of windows
- no septic tank!

It kind of looked like this:




I wrote this in my journal on February 2nd. It felt silly to write it. What I read about manifesting was that you were to be really specific, and so I was. But then I started to think about how all this 'wanting something more' was actually me being a spoiled brat. It was like I wasn't satisfied with what I have and that is not the case. I love my home. I have always been one to be happy with what is. To hold things loosely. I do not have a list of things that I want to have. Not at all. Sometimes I think that looking on Pinterest also makes me think about things that I don't really need and didn't even know I wanted until I saw it. Just like commercials on TV aimed at children. They didn't even know the thing existed and now they can't live without it. 

But today, I really want to grow a big garden. I want to have a few chickens. I want a bunny to run around outside in the backyard. Something for Athena to play with and cuddle. These are not bad things to want. They are simple things. Still, I just can't seem to shake the idea that I am somehow dissatisfied with the wonderful place that we do live in. When I re-read my list, I have most of the things already. All but a garden. Other than that, I have it pretty good here in this 'oh so small' town of ours. It won't keep me from looking at real estate ads for a small farm or acreage. Maybe one day the perfect place will come up for sale, or maybe one day lightning will strike all the 50 foot spruce trees that surround my yard and the sun will be able to shine and I can then have a garden of my own. Maybe one day.

(all images from Google Images) 


2 comments:

dawn said...

50 foot trees all around sounds like the situation in my own backyard. That's what is keeping me from really going all out on a garden. I think I am going to try more containers this year, on wheels, so I can take them to wherever the sun is shining.
I think that you do sound like a person who is grateful for what she has, and I also think that your dream of a little farm sounds wonderful. I hope you get it someday.

Tara said...

I believe in the power of inspiration in the concrete way - like list making, journaling or even creating inspiration boards to keep the things foremost in your mind that you are working towards doing or having or finding.

We all need dreams, even when we are all grown up!