Friday, April 29, 2011

Best Bolognese Ever

My sister gave me this recipe years ago. At least 14 years ago I think. She edited it a bit and I have edited it since then. I don't even know where she got the recipe from in the first place but it has been a favorite in my recipe box ever since. And, considering that we have a blustery, grey, damp day here today I thought I'd make this hearty comfort food meal and I couldn't help but want to share the recipe with you.

Bolognese Sauce

3 T extra-virgin olive oil
5 T butter
1 onion (finely diced)
1/2 cup diced celery and carrots
1 lb lean ground sirloin
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup milk (or cream for a tasty substitute)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
1/2 cup grated parmegiano reggiano
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


Brown the beef in the oil and butter. Add onion, celery and carrots and saute until veg is tender. Add 1 cup white wine and simmer until evaporated.


Add milk or cream and nutmeg and simmer until evaporated.


Add tomatoes and parmegiano reggiano. Break up tomatoes with a fork.
Simmer, uncovered, on low for at least 3 hours, preferably 4.
Serve over a large type of pasta. I like to use rotini or rigatoni. They really grab up the sauce.


Use additional pamegiano reggiano passed around at the table.



Serve with a leaf salad and please, don't forget to have a glass of wine with it!
It also wouldn't hurt to have some Italian folk music playing in the background either.


I usually mince my veg for this recipe and I also whiz up the tomatoes in the can before I add them as I have a little one who does not like cooked vegetables. Tastes the same either way.

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

That sounds delicious! I've never tried using nutmeg like that before. I wasn't even sure what it was when I first saw your photo.