Monday, February 11, 2013

I've Been Having an Affair

It is true. And it is a love affair with my treadmill. I bought my daughter's treadmill from her back in late December. My dear sweet husband brought it home and lugged it inside and then he had to reassemble it. It is a heavy commercial treadmill. I dusted it off, plugged it in and have been hooked ever since.

(google images)
 
Only trouble is, my other love has been wanting my time and attention. And I do give it to her but not as often as before. Where I used to spend time with her every day, not it is more like two or three times a week at the very most. It's not that I don't still love her, I do. And I miss her as well. When my calves are aching at night I wish I would have spent some time with her that day. Of course I am speaking of yoga.

(google images)
 
I have been practicing yoga for about 13 years now. At some times more faithfully than others. It has been my primary source of exercise all these years. No matter how many times I return to my mat I never tire of yoga's many many benefits. Yoga provides muscle conditioning, flexibility, stress relief, anti-anxiety/calmness and time alone with the door shut so no one can talk to you for one hourness. I love it and I am sure I always will. I can see myself practicing yoga in my old age.

(I love my new Manduka mat. Thanks Mom!)
 
And speaking of old age, I am not getting any younger. I am 47 (and a half) and this winter I decided that my body could use more aerobic conditioning, which is where my love affair began. I didn't know that I would like walking on the treadmill as much as I do. I was asked if I have seen any results. I assume the one who asked meant weight loss. As I am not one to weigh myself, except once a month just to keep an eye on things, this was not my goal. What I HAVE noticed in the past 6 weeks of using a treadmill program for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week is increased vitality. When we do our weekly Sunday hiking, the parts that I used to dread come easily to me. I can go faster and longer and poor little Athena has been needing to take rests these past few weeks. I have more energy during the day and can stay up later at night.

My very best result, however, has been that I sleep so well at night. I have no trouble falling asleep and I sleep for long periods without those pesky nighttime awakenings that can occur for women of a certain age. This has been more wonderful than words can express. So, thank you treadmill for this wonderful benefit. My skirts are slipping down a lot and my yoga pants are continually being pulled back up but this pales in comparison to the other things I mentioned. Big time.


What I do want to work toward now is a happy balance between yoga and the treadmill. I want to devote equal time to each. Spring is coming and there is a lot of work to be done outside at that time and maybe this year it will be just a little easier for me on account of the conditioning I have been working on this long winter.

2 comments:

dawn klinge said...

If I had space for a treadmill, I know I would use it a lot. I go running in the rain often, because if I don't, I would rarely get to run at all. I also have more energy when I'm regularly running, which always seems funny to me, because my excuse not to run is usually that I'm "too tired".

Tara said...

Seems like you have struck the perfect balance!

When I don't get in my morning walk, I feel tired and groggy all day.