Thursday, June 16, 2011

Its A Seasonal Affair

It is finally time to harvest the rhubarb. I mean really harvest it. I have been working on my little gifted plant for years now. In each of the past few years I have pulled it sparingly so as to really let her take root and settle in. And this year she gifted me with an abundance of fruit (or vegetable to be exact).

Yesterday morning I pulled what I believed to be enough for a pie but after it was washed and chopped I had well over 8 cups.



First I made rhubarb crisp. Easy peasy for sure. I made a small one for the neighbor across the street as her dear husband doesn't like rhubarb but she does. The other I baked up and put in the freezer for another day.



Next I started on the pie. I made some pie crusts weeks before and had stored a pie's worth in the freezer.
In hindsight, I do not recommend doing this. It was crumbly and difficult to work with. Pie is pie nonetheless. Tastes the same whether it looks beautiful or not.




Unfortunately, Paul had to catch a flight and did not get a chance to taste it. "Save some for me when I get back" he shouted as he closed the door behind himself. Of course there will be pie left as he is the dessert person of the family.

Fortunately, he was able to stay for dinner. In fact, he grilled the chicken. Our daughter Jessica was in town so she was able to join us for this wonderful, simple summer dinner. Isn't is just lovely looking? It tastes fantastic too. Even if you are not a curry fan you should try this anyway. I'll bet you will love it.


Chicken Shawarma

Total time: 45 minutes

Chicken:
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced. (I use a microplane for both this and the sauce)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain greek style yogurt
2 Tbsp tahini paste
2 tsp fresh lemon juice ( I used more)
1/2 tsp salt
1 garlic clove

4  naan breads (can use pita or any flat bread)

Preheat grill to med-high heat.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let stand at room temp 20 minutes. (I let mine marinate for up to several hours)
Combine sauce ingredients, stirring with a whisk. ( I also make this well in advance to develop the flavours)

Either thread chicken on a skewer or use a grill pan on the BBQ. Grill until done.
Brush naan bread with olive oil and grill a few minutes each side until warm and slightly browned.
Place 1 naan bread on each plate. Top with lettuce and tomato slices. Top with grilled chicken and drizzle with sauce. Finish the whole thing of with a few glugs of olive oil. That's it. 

I just know this will be one of your favorite dinner on the deck meals. Enjoy!


(Posting along with Earth Mama in Seasonal Affair)

4 comments:

Paula said...

I've been harvesting rhubarb for over a month now. I sell most of it at the market since I'm the only one who likes it, but I did find a coffeecake recipe that Ella likes. Just make sure to call it coffeecake and not rhubarb coffeecake :) I don't get to make pie much since Colin isn't a pie guy (I've had his mom's pies and it's no wonder-haha)

I've never had much luck freezing pastry or pies. It's just one of those things we enjoy fresh. Frozen puff pastry works well though.

cpcable said...

Look at all that beautiful rhubarb! I transplanted some to our place two years ago, but it never took off. :(

Tara said...

My in-laws have a healthy rhubarb plant near their garden _ guess I'll have to harvest some and give it a try. The pie looks amazing!

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

That's a lot of rhubarb! And your pie is beautiful looking. I would have a hard time saving some. Thanks for sharing your recipe and enjoy your weekend Michelle!

:)Lisa