Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Don't Let This Cute Little Face Fool You...

this little Bird Whisperer
who 'saves' every little bird
(or big bird for that matter)
that hits the windows,




who is as sweet and friendly and innocent
as can be,


 (this little Pine Siskin did eventually fly away)


is as stubborn as the day is long.
Day two of second grade and I was
thinking about running away from home.




All order is restored but oh my homeschooling is not easy.
In fact, I think I cried myself to sleep on Sunday night
just thinking of the pressure of it all.

It is especially difficult when one doesn't have a lot of support.
There are those close to me who think this is a bad idea.
Some think I am bored and have little else to do but this.
Some think that it is fine for now but eventually...

But I know differently.
I know I have to do this for her. (at this point)
I know that because of the way she is, this is the only way. (for now)
I know that if she were in public school she would be
way behind, labeled and made to feel
less than adequete.
She would come home exhausted from all of the
sensory overload.
She would be in trouble all of the time for
seemingly not paying attention.

But...
I am holding on to these words
by Robert Frost.




The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.


6 comments:

Jen said...

It is hard to make decisions that aren't supported by your community/family/etc. especially when they are something as important as education. Which is why I have this quote up on my bulletin board:

"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

dawn klinge said...

Yes. It is hard, even with support. I can only imagine how much harder it would be when some people around you question your decision. (Hugs) Athena is lucky to have a mom that is willing to take the road less traveled for her sake.

Tara said...

Seeing your sweet girl with the tiny bird warms my heart ~ I love birds too...

I know how frustrating it can be when you butt heads with your child over homeschooling. Be assured that Owen and I have rocky days as well and that's when I surrender and we head outside or to the park or library.

You guys are on the right, less traveled path and it will be fine :)

Cassandra and Alex said...

I too go against the grain of my family and many of my friends with decisions I make regarding my family. But they don't have to answer to my conscience.

Do what you know is best and lovingly embrace your road. :)

–Cassandra

angie said...

perfect poem for this sentiment. I so understand about those around you thinking it's not a great idea. But you said it, we know our kids and for what ever reason we choose we know what's right for them. I love this blogging community for the homeschooling support I find.

denise said...

Ah, yes. We just stick together and stay away from naysayers or people who judge. If they are not supporting us on our journey, then they can't be in it. :) I have a son who has Asperger's and sensory issues. In a classroom ... oy. He would be labeled, put into a special class or place, be different, have a therapist and an IEP and a "plan". He would be taught that how he is is different or bad and that even though he is brilliantly smart it is not enough. NO WAY. So...so what if I don't have any friends or support. I have healthy happy kids who shine, explore, love, are passionate, and are brilliant and confidant in who they are. Can't beat that!

Hugs to you. You do what you know is right for your daughter and that is all we can do!