Saturday, August 15, 2009

Question

Today we headed to the city for some grocery shopping. I planned every little bit of our meals this next week, hoping to lessen the wasted produce and reduce the weekly cost of food. I must say, my cart was not that full. I bought what I needed and what I planned.

There was a young couple and their mother in line ahead of us at the checkout. They were obviously of meagre means as they had reduced produce and all "no-name" brand food in their cart. They also had a package of diapers on the counter. What they didn't do was put the baby formula they had up on the conveyor belt so the cashier could add the cost to their bill. They left it on the bottom of the cart. The female pushed the cart through and the male stood directly in front of the formula so as to hide it from the cashier. I saw them do it. The mother knew that I knew. She told the man.

I knew they were stealing it. They knew I knew it. My husband knew it too. I looked at them. They looked at me. I said nothing and let them go. It was food for a baby. My husband mouthed to me "Should I pay for it?" To which I shook my head "N0." Later that night while I was having a shower I started to feel guilty. I think I did the wrong thing. I think I should have agreed to pay for it.

What would you have done?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with your paying for it is that then the cashier would have known that they didn't (on purpose) & then what????
mom

dawn klinge said...

Tough question. I think I would have done the same thing as what you did.