Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Creativity

Since the new year arrived I have been thinking more and more about creativity. More specifically, my creativity. I know it is within me, waiting for me to give it expression. But then there is the "if I can't make it look just how I imagine then I am not even going to attempt it" me who often wins over.




I am really excited about the Inside Out Course I am going to take, but that doesn't begin until April. Instead, I am slowly letting my creative side manifest itself, no matter the out come. This is not easy.




When I was a girl, I used to draw and write long stories. And play the piano. A lot. And now, my creativity is mostly expressed through cooking. I dabble in knitting. I have made some Waldorf Wee Felt Folk. I do some sewing too. Paul bought me an artists easel a few years back, complete with all sorts of paints, brushes and canvases. I used it once, about a year after. I attempted to copy another artists method, failed, and put the whole lot back into the closet. I really really want to bring it back out.

My daughter Jill bought me some charcoal pencils, drawing pencils and some sketch pads. I remember having a few sketch pads all filled up with whatever I wanted. Not any more. But this past weekend, I took it out, and USED it! Of course I was not thrilled with my initial attempts but so what? I did it, I loved it and I will most definitely do it more often.


Athena used the water color pencils and she was so excited with the result. She has no fear of a piece turning out poorly, she just takes joy in the doing of it. JOY IN THE DOING OF IT. A good lesson for me.




So the weekend was one of bringing beauty into being by several different methods. It was so relaxing and so... joyful. I even had some time to go on the elliptical trainer and practice yoga. We did some weaving with a "new to us" loom from ebay, some Lincoln Log construction. Some Mandala coloring from Threading Light.




We even made some time to ride exercise bikes and I did some Yoga as well. (FYI I nailed Revolved Triangle and Half Moon asanas. Just goes to show you how a balanced life leads to more balance in the poses.)






Couple that with a glorious Crab leg and Beef Tenderloin feast made completely by my dear husband. Dessert of Harden and Huyse Chocolates. Some Petit Syrah. A roaring fire and you have the makings of bliss here folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you sketch those birds? Good job!
Mom

Anonymous said...

yes, the birds are so incredible. balance, creativity, etc.... I am longing for these things as well.

perches said...

Love your bird drawing!