Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Prejudice Admitted

I admit I am prejudiced. It's true. I am.

In fact, I admitted as much to my daughter this morning while we were talking on the phone. I'll admit it to you now.

I HATE FEEDING SPARROWS!

There. I've said it.Nuthatches and Chickadees. Such sweet pretty little things. They only take one seed at a time. Eat their fill and flit away.

Not so with Sparrows. They come in a huge flock, flick seeds all over kingdom come and eat me out of house and home. I'm thinking I'll have to take a part time job just to afford seed for the rest of the winter, which, apparently is to last 6 more weeks.


While I'm on a truth revealing mission today, I may as well admit that I don't much like Grackles either. Nope. Too noisy and too mean looking. So this next story may be hard for you to understand. I baited a Raven.

I was making my lunch and I heard his noisy familiar call although I could not see him. I ran to the freezer, pulled out a piece of bread and threw it out the patio door into my back yard. Then I swiftly ran to get the camera.


There you see the bread.
Aha, here he is.
Ready to take off...


Gotcha!



Too bad I had to take the pictures through the triple panes of my kitchen window.
I'll not likely do that again because really, who wants a Raven hanging around anyway?



The Raven


Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
Only this and nothing more."

Edgar Allan Poe




1 comment:

Dawn said...

Fun pictures! I had a hard time keeping up with feeding the sparrows last winter because they ate so much. We've got a kingfisher that lives in our yard now. It's beautiful, but quite territorial...a little scary in fact.