Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Small Town Living


This past weekend, Athena and I drove down to Regina to meet Paul. He was away all week in Calgary for Business Excellence meetings and then he flew to Regina for the Fire Chief's Convention. We figured if we went, at least we could see him from 5pm on and then bring him back with us the following evening. And so we did.


Jen, my oldest daughter, and I spent the entire day Saturday together without kids. (Thanks so much Jordan for watching the girls) and it was great. We did some second hand pick ups, went to Winners/Home Sense and out to lunch. Then we walked down the artsy district and went into some shops.


I must say, I was taken aback by the lack of friendliness of city people. In fact, peoples seemed to avoid eye contact at all cost. This is in stark contrast to my own sweet town where everyone waves, gives a nod or says hello to everyone. Even the children. Even the teenagers.


When I first left the city and moved to a small town over 11 years ago I was a little bit put off by having to wave and say hi to everyone. And now, all these years later I think, why not? Who does it hurt? It makes one feel a part of something. It makes one feel human. I don't think I'll ever move back to a city. At least I hope not to.


1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

Is that a picture of your town? It's so cute! I think we have a mixture of both friendly people and those who avoid eye contact at all costs where I live.