Wednesday, April 28, 2010

At Last










At last the weather has stabilized. At least that is what I am telling myself. It has been windy. Very windy. I always think the old poem should read:

April winds and May showers bring forth the June flowers

At least for good old Saskatchewan.
The trees are starting to leaf out. The succulents are unfolding their waxy petals. The peony and the columbine are peeking up their first shoots. The moss is a brilliant cool moist green. It is starting to happen. Slowly but surely as it always does and always will.

Schooling has been going quite well. Lots of learning going on. Her reading is coming along nicely. She is sounding out words with more and more confidence. And after we finished talking about the first vowel A, I asked her to draw a picture in her notebook of something that began with the letter A. She drew a picture of what looked like a mountain with snow on it. Now of course I was thinking that neither mountain nor snow began with the letter A but I sat down to take the dictation for her story. It reads:

"Once upon a time there was a mountain. She had snow on the top of herself. A yodeler yelled really loudly and an avalanche came from the top of her snowy head. The end"

Of course, Avalanche! I shouldn't have expected otherwise from this little gal.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm happy for you, that spring has finally arrived in your area. I love the avalanche story!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures!

Tara said...

Beautiful pics of the green emerging as you welcome Spring!