Friday, March 19, 2010

It's Official


It happened again. I got the " Come Hither" gesture. Another informal Parent/Teacher Interview.

(Sigh) Not again.


"Mrs. Payette, can I talk to you a minute? Have you noticed anything 'off' about Athena these past months? No? Well, I am having more trouble than ever. She is so distracted. I cannot keep her attention. I am constantly trying to usher her toward the group. I can't get her in from recess. She is the last one outside and then I can't get her attention to come in. It is getting worse."


And then Athena comes out of her class. The last one again. Of course. She looks exhausted. She looks defeated. And then she sees me. " Mama!" And she puts her boots on and bolts out the door. She runs halfway home. She laughs. She talks excitedly. She is free!


And so today is her last day of school. She has to hand in her library books and collect her things.

It is official. I gave written notice. I am withdrawing her from school.


We are officially Home Schoolers! Woohoo!

7 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Good for you! That defeated look you described sounds heartbreaking.

Jen said...

I teared up reading this. I definitely think you are making the best choice for Athena.

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I think that's best for Athena. However, I also think that her teacher is a loser. Too bad she doesn't have any imagination or patience to work with all kinds of kids. teachers are supposed to get kids to love school, not hate it.
mom

Anonymous said...

I am excited for all the ways you will be able to grow her! She's going to be so happy! Jess

Nicola said...

wow! do tell more, please! what are your homeschool plans? are you following a curriculum? etc etc. very curious!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! For Athena!!! I just think kids are not supposed to be in school. It's too suffocating. They should be outside enjoying themselves. Congrats to you for listening to what your daughter needs! My heart is bursting for you.

:)Lisa

Ginny said...

I am so glad!!! This sounds so similar to the year Seth attended public kindergarten. It was awful. Homeschooling is just much much better for some kids I think (if not all!)