Thursday, September 10, 2009

Knitting Woes

So, I was so excited to start a new knitting project. After discussing some things with Melody, I got the necessary supplies and started out to make a fall hat for Athena. Athena chose the color which luckily enough will match her snow suit.

I had to cast on twice, due to incorrect counting and a ribbing that just didn't work out. (Of course it didn't if the number of stitches was uneven.) Anyway, after I was sure the total of stitches was correct, I set off on my first project that wasn't a scarf or slippers or leg warmers. I was eager to see how it would turn out.

I bought the wrong size of circular needles and since I don't live in a city, I decided that I would do the round by using 4 double pointed needles instead. Fine by me. I kind of got the hang of them when I made these legwarmers for Athena thanks to some over the phone tutoring from my Mother. So off I went. Stealing little moments to do a few more rows. I had just begun really. I am not the fastest knitter. Yet.

I was sitting in the front room admiring the stitches. Pretty, straight rows. Not one error. Then it occurred to me that this hat looked way too small. I picked it all up, went up to Athena, who was already in bed and tried in vain to stretch it to fit on her little head. OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!


Now here it sits. All unwound. Waiting for me to cast on again. Ughhh! I know some of you knitters can see the tell tale sign of wool that has been unwound. Can't you? Tell me I am not the only one.



If I cross my fingers, maybe the third time will be the charm.

No comments: